Friday, August 24, 2012

The Mommy Diaries: Part III, Where O Where has my little life gone?

As a new parent discovers, an abundance of changes occur when a baby enters your world. And continues to change as you add a few more to your quiver, but I don't know about those changes just yet.

One such change which occured, which I knew in my head would come, but still wasn't fully prepared for, was time and having a life outside of poopy diapers, feedings and naps. Hanging with friends, staying out till midnight, going to a movie on the spur of the moment, dinners out etc, these become almost non-existant once a baby enters the picture. Instead, you encourage friends to come over to your place, watch the clock to be sure you're home by 7:30 for baby's bath and bed time, and you find yourself so tired from the days' entertaining, bouncing, cooing, playing, walking, cooking, cleaning, and laundry, that you fall into bed at 10pm and hope to catch some sleep before baby wakes up for his/her next feed.

As our little girl grows, things that were more difficult to do have become easier, while things that were easier to do, become more difficult. When L was a new baby, I could pack her up and be out for a few hours at a time and she would sleep the whole merry way. It was no problem at all. However, there was no leaving her for the evening to go out with friends or a date with my husband. 7 months later, we can finally leave her for a few hours of baby free time, but during the day, my time is limited and planned around naps. And even then, plans I do have continue to change throughout the day as an hour nap turns into 2, and then 3. Playdate times constantly change, and sometimes are cancelled altogether if L is in a cranky mood. There are even times when I don't leave the house for days at a time. Your baby dictates what you will or will not do and when you will, or won't, do it. Most of the time, I really and honestly don't mind. But there are those days, here and there, that I long for time away from home with just my husband, a glass of wine, some great friends and a good conversation.

I don't say all this to scare any of you who are hoping, planning or about to become parents. It's not an end to life as we know it, merely a change in priorities for a time, until our kidlets grow up and we can leave them at home to fend for themselves. :)

So I suppose, as I do hope to have more then just one wee munchkin, poopy diapers, feedings, and naps will be my lot in life for a few more years to come. And it's so, so, so worth it, especially when L looks up at me with her beautiful, crystal, brown eyes and gives me the biggest gummy smile that melts my heart, then bends over and blows a big raspberry on my arm. So with that said, come on over to my place and we'll have a jolly good time, just be sure to say good-night by 7:30pm :)

Till next time!

2 comments:

  1. This blog post pretty much sums up how I've been feeling in regards to parenting lately.
    Teething has been awful - and I mean 100% miserable - for both Alice and me the past few days. I've been looking back on those pre-child days through decidedly rose-coloured glasses!
    I think a LOT of the time, it's important to us parents - maybe especially to us moms - to appear like everything's great all of the time, and that we enjoy every second of parenting and have never taken one look back. I know even when I complain about things like how bad of a sleeper Alice is, or how she is constantly into absolutely evvvverything, I do it a kind of light-hearted, "it doesn't matter" way, even on those days when I'm finding it seriously hard.
    I will say though, that last night the husband and I left Alice with grandma and grandpa for the first time while we spent the night and part of today sans baby in Elkwater. We got to go for a walk, past 7:30, completely on a whim! We got to sleep all the way through the night, AND sleep in AND EVEN stay in bed for awhile before getting up! We got to go antiquing and do some other shopping after lunch, without having to think about coming home for a nap in between. It was great, but when it came time to go pick Alice up, I couldn't wait to see her and cuddle her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does feel weird, but freeing when you are able to have time away from the wee one. And important too, I think, for our sanity and some days, for the safety of our kids haha.

    So glad you were able to have a night away. It must have been surreal and wonderful. Breaks are always a blessing. And then it's so nice to come home to a smiling baby who can't wait to see you!

    Hope Alice gets through the teething ordeal soon. Have you tried Hylands teething tablets? They are all natural, homeopathic and work great for L. You can get them at Nutters and probably at other places as well.

    ReplyDelete