Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Wheat Clarification

In past posts I talked about how recently I have become gluten intolerant and have posted a couple delicious gluten free recipes (with more to come, to be sure :)) I also mentioned how wheat has changed over the years, with many new variations on the market today, making our breads light and fluffy with the added gluten.

With that being said, I mentioned how I'm not able to eat anything with this wheat anymore, due to my gluten intolerance. Makes sense as it's the gluten content that is higher in these new wheats. However, I just want to clarify, I never meant, nor implyed, that these new variations of wheat were unhealthy, unsafe, hazardous to your health, or unfit to eat. Unlike GMO (genetically modified) corn, which is rendered inedible, but still broken down and turned into ethenol, high fructose corn syrup and filler additives to many of our foods, these new wheat variations are still very much edible, completely safe to consume, and quite enjoyable, if you're not celiac or gluten intolerant.

 If it wasn't for my gluten intolerance, I would continue to enjoy my thick slices of bread smeared with honey, those fluffy pancakes dripping with syrup, and toasted english muffins topped with egg, bacon and cheese. To be sure, I miss fluffy bread. Much of what is available on the market that is gluten free has the consistancy of cardboard and is dense, dense, dense.

That is why I was so excited about discovering a farm which sells the original, ancient variety of wheat, as it's lower gluten content allows me to still enjoy some of my favorite carb foods, without feeling like I've swallowed a rock. And as I have many friends who are gluten intolerant and/or celiac, I'm always looking to find new and yummy items and recipes that are safe for us to consume with joy.

I personally have friends who grow these new, hardy variations of wheat and I encourage you to start, or continue, supporting your local farmers who do, and feel good about it too. As I'm married to a man who still loves his bread and buns...and cinnamon buns, and have a very large family who does as well, normal flour will still be readily available in my home, just not for my personal consumption.

I hope this helps to clarify what I had said previously and so, enjoy that homemade hamburger, that loaf of cheese bread fresh out of the oven, or that slice of toast with honey, whether it be made with the orignal strains of wheat or the new variations.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment