Thursday, August 30, 2012

Going out on a food limb....and I won!

It's time for a recipe! I have another one up my sleeve too from a couple days ago, but that will have to wait another day or two as my husband is gone with the camera, thus with the pictures :)

Today I was thinking, what do I make for supper? I think that a lot actually. Almost daily. It's sad, because I always say "we should do up a food menu for the week. It would save me so much time and make my life much easier." Say this I do, and do it I do not. We've had a food menu one week out of our almost 3 years of marriage. Oops!

So, back to today. I thought I would be daring and trying to make something without a recipe! Say what? Risky indeed. If you know me, it's that I always, ALWAYS follow recipes...to the T! I hardly ever stray as I'm just not that confident yet, but slowly growing more so. Well, today I walked out onto a limb. I was going to cook supper in a frying pan, like I cook almost every meal I make, but it was at the brilliant suggestion of my husband that I pulled out the crock pot. You know, the one we got for our wedding and we've used just once! Yeah, that one. After tonight, however, I think I'll be making more use out of that bad boy :)

We had purchased some beef smoked sausage from TLC Farms (see their feature here on my blog. They're amazing!) and I wanted to use that. We also had some fresh garden veggies, from a friend, that I wanted to use. So, I placed the sausages in the crock pot, sliced up some onion (market fresh of course), chopped up some of those yummy, sweet garden carrots and some garden baby potatoes. Added some dry bay leaves and oregano (thank you Silk Road), added a bit of water and some red wine! I didn't even measure *gasp*! I turned it on high and left it for a couple hours as I headed out for some frozen yogurt with L and some friends.


As I returned home, I was leary as to what I would find. What met me was an aromatic fragrance that wafted into my nostrils upon entrance to my humble abode. Success! Well, part way. Supper "smelt" good, but did it "taste" good? There was only one way to find out. Feed it to my husband! He's very honest :)

Not only did he say he thought it tasted really good, but he finished his entire plate. *Phew*! Now I can rest easy. So, feel free to try it out and enjoy! I call it "Sausage, carrots, potatoes, and onions in a red wine sauce". I know, so original right? :)


Sausage, Carrots, Potatoes, and Onions in a Red Wine Sauce

In a crock pot combine the following: (serves 2)

2 TLC Farms Beef Sausages
Chunk Approx 5-6 small garden potatoes
Chop Approx 5-6 small garden sweet carrots
Slice 1/2 market fresh onion
dash of crumbled dry bay leaves
dash of dry Silk Road oregano
Approx 1/4 cup water
Approx 1 cup red wine

Turn crock pot on high for 2ish hours or until veggies and sausage are cooked. Enjoy!

Happy Eating!

till next time...

2 comments:

  1. We use our crock pot multiple times a week! I LOVE it - you can put it on when you leave the house in the morning and there's a meal when you get back!!! Also great for GF meals - makes root veggies and meat amazingly tender. Try soups in it next - you won't be disappointed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm….that I will indeed! Now to just find a place in my kitchen for this new, important tool :)

    ReplyDelete