Friday, February 11, 2011

The hardness factor - abs of steel?

I've recently discovered a new joy in life. It dawned upon me whilst visiting superstore to pick up some groceries with Hayden the other day. There is honestly, in that moment anyway, nothing more satisfying then standing in line, with my groceries on the belt and looking at the person's food choices in front of mine. What I mean with this absurd comment is, I gaze, nonchalantly towards their food to see that they have, pop, candy, white bread, frozen meals, and mounds of processed foods. That's when I glance back to my groceries and feel quite proud that it's only fresh fruit, fresh veggies, eggs, almond milk and fresh meat. I feel like a star, really, knowing that I'm taking this goodness home to cook and put into my body, and not that other junk. Regardless, I usually leave the store with a smile on my face.

Our last shop really was only fruits and veggies (and a baby gift for a shower :) ). Our fruit bowl is HEAPING with red apples, green apples, bananas, oranges, mangos and plums.

yummy!

Normally, for us, this would be prime fruit fly breeding ground, as we would buy fruit and watch it go bad because we just never really ate that much fruit, and honestly, would forget it's there. Now, I eat a few fruits a day, which would probably explain why I haven't gotten sick in the past month which not taking any vitamin C. This heaping bowl that would normally have found it's end in my garbage bag, will be gone within the next, at max, week. I like this :)

We also purchased fresh cauliflower, broccoli, bean sprouts, red/yellow/green peppers, avocados, and our fridge has strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, and blackberries. We are set….for a couple days :) Most of the veggies are already gone.

Now, onto today, which was the reason for the title of today's entry. It was my first day of working out since completing my triathlon last year. Pathetic, I know, but with a few injuries incurred since, it's been hard to get back into the swing of things. But now that I'm eating a healthy amount of calories again, work-out's have commenced to tone up this new body! I'm determined to be beach ready for April 6th! Little did I know what I was getting myself into to have hard abs and a firm body.

I'm working out with a friend, Jen, in her basement and we are doing these workout DVD's called "Insanity" workouts. I'm not even joking. Check it out at beachbody.com/Insanity-Workout-DVDs. This is going to be ridiculous and amazing, all at the same time. So, today was our first day together, and I can't believe I got through as much of it as I did, but by the end, I was DEAD! I was immediately sore and could barely climb the stairs out of the basement, and we had just finished! As the night has progressed, my body has given me the warning signs that tomorrow, when I wake up, it will NOT be pleasant. I'm looking forward to this :) I'm also absolutely dead tired now too. I think I'll sleep very well tonight :) The good thing is tomorrow's Saturday! Which means, if I want to, I can totally sleep in :) I probably won't, but at least it can be a laid back morning. I'm looking forward to doing some ORGANIZING tomorrow! woohoo!!! More on that later.


Tonight, to wrap up a tiring day of work, followed by a tiring work-out session, I decided to make salmon for supper. I love salmon, as does Hayden, and with all the good omega fats it has, I'll take it! I drizzled a bit of extra virgin olive oil on top, sliced up a lemon and placed the slices on top, then popped it in the oven at 350* for about 20ish minutes, or until it looked just right. And boy, it was just right :) 






I then steamed some asparagus, made some rice for Hayden as his additional side, and had a bowl of leafy greens, with a drizzle of oil/vinegar on top, as my additional side. It was quite yummy indeed.


The rest of the evening was a splendid night in with Hayden, talking about our future, giving him a much needed haircut, and relaxing in each others presence, whilst drinking absurd amounts of water. I can think of no better way to spend a Friday night, then with my love.




till next time!

1 comment: