Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A brush to go...

This past Saturday was, by far, one of the best I have experienced in quite some time. I'll admit, I was a bit shocked when I first received a phone call asking if I would like to participate in a Worship Arts Summit. This is an event that I would partake in, normally, but never imagined that I would be asked to lead a session. Thus, Worship Painting became my priority, as I was to lead 2 sessions, and then paint on stage during the evening and final worship time. After the initial surprise, and a non-hesitant YES!, I hung up the phone and thought to myself "What have I just done?".

I love painting, but I haven't painted in quite some time, and painting amidst a worship service? I haven't done that since my dance and art school days in Kamloops...8 years ago. Needless to say, my nerves began to dance. A little. However, the thought of leading a session or two, where I would be free to share my heart and passion for the arts in worship with willing listeners, that I was quite excited about to my core.

I will admit, I had little prepared, which was the cause of some slight chaos in life, but live and learn, right? I will know much better for next time, as I do dearly hope there will be a next time. I arrived at the church and went to my room. We brought my stereo so as to listen to soothing music whilst painting. My goal...to allow for as much time to be creative as possible. The time dawned for the session to begin and I had 7 amazing individuals present. I had no idea what words to say, but had faith that God would speak through me. He did, after all, give this passion to me. After a short time of sharing my heart, the difference between worship painting and prophetic painting, relaying some of the inherent meanings of colors, and then urging everyone to have fun and let go....we played the music and began. What fun! Everyone has such unique imaginations. We had realism to abstract and everything inbetween. It was absolutely fantastic. The hour ended all too soon.

After lunch, which was hectic with a mad dash around town, I arrived back at the church for the second session, which was just as fun as the first. Again, more painting ensued. This time, however, I, myself, decided to paint something with more detail, instead of abstract like my first. The result was, in my eyes, quite rewarding.

Again, the hour was up far too quickly.

I then had a few hours to spare, some of which I wonderfully used up in the presence of dear friends, celebrating the coming union between an absolutely lovely couple. Then it was back to the church for the final service!

I arrived early, so as to set up and be prepared. I had no idea what picture I would paint, but trusted that God would paint through me. That He did. The music started and I began, turning my canvas black before me. The outcome, a picture of breakthrough bought by the Blood. Still the service went on, so another canvas was produced and I began a second painting. A beautiful sunset, set behind a skyline of mountains. This represented tranquility and beauty.

Thus the evening concluded and I had 4 new paintings to look back upon, one of which I gladly gave to a dear friend who so loved the one picture. I was glad it spoke to her.

The rebirthing of yet another passion has, I hope, stirred the desire to continue, and to introduce the arts in worship to my home church. The arts are foreign in the church, however, I do believe there is a time coming when the arts will lead the church in worship. To that day I look with great fondness.

Always stop to Hear the Whisper and Taste the Sun.
Till next time
Aryn

No comments:

Post a Comment