Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Bake Escape!

Contrary to popular belief, I believe baking genetics don't always get passed down from generation to generation. Or rather, it's not instantaneous for everyone. Presto, I breathe, therefore I can bake with all the prowess of my mother. This art can be learned, like any other art, and like any other art, some are more sickeningly capable then others (like my brother Bryan). I do think there is a time in ones life, however, when the "light" may turn on when it comes to cooking, baking, sewing, or anything "motherly". But that could be a maternal switch, not necessarily a genetic one. I say this, for it always baffled me growing up that I was inept in the kitchen. I couldn't even boil water properly. It's not that I tried, I did, I just couldn't grasp it. This was a circumstance to gasp at, for my mother was the mother of all mothers when it came to cooking and baking. If you breathed it, she could bake it! And not just mediocre baking, it was melt in your mouth breads, exquisite cookies, delectable cakes and pies, well, you get the picture. It was highly sought after, quality food. So then, to grow up burning everything and just barely successfully making pancakes or macaroni, I hope you can see why I didn't believe genetics to be involved. Reading a recipe was like translating greek or solving a quantum mathematics equation. It just wasn't going to happen.

Then one day, like I mentioned before, the "light" came on. Not in my mothers kitchen, in my own. What, you may wonder, could have caused this light to flicker with life? Desire. I had absolutely no desire, ever before, to make anything. Then I met my husband. Desire to cook and bake for him overtook the lack of genetics or experience and I rolled up my sleeves and tried to create dishes that would melt in his mouth. I haven't always succeeded, mind you. There have been a few mishaps here and there, which he still smiles and consumes, though sometimes with great difficulty. But, when it's come to my baking, I have not gone wrong yet! I thought to start out small. Test the waters. Cookies were the way to go for a beginning, and what cookies they were! I couldn't believe it myself when I had seasoned, homemaker mothers taste my cookies and say they were the best they've ever had! I thought they were just being kind, teasing even. But when they went for cookie number two, three, four, then taking a plate home with them, I knew they were serious.

Baffled, I was, at this outcome. Never had food been something I excelled at before. This inspired me to venture forth and try out some other recipes. Peanut Butter Marshmellow Squares were next on the list. I still have room for improvement, but they were delicious non-the-less. Crisp followed. Now this has become my speciality. Peach-blueberry crisp. This crisp has become a staple for get-togethers and church functions and I always feel my face glow with enthusiasm and pride when the men rush for my dish and there is non left for the home-taking. This must be what it feels like to be a home-maker. I liked it.

Which brings me to my most recent affair. Hayden so wonderfully picked a few bags of apples from his mothers tree when we were last there and I was not about to allow these apples to rot away. Not on my watch. Not while I could do something about it. So, apple pie was the item of choice. My lovely friend Karlee was over and we decided to see what we could come up with. We scoured a few cook books looking for something delicious and eye catching. We settled on a recipe, ventured to the grocery store to pick up a few more items, and then buckled down to the task at hand.

Karlee peeled the apples while I cored and sliced them. Then, onto preparing the mixture. It smelt so good, I was already salivating at the thought of consumption. Apples mixed and ready, we set about getting the pan ready with dough. The mixture was then added and the dough top placed. Now to trim and edge and slice the top. This was the more tedious part, but I enjoyed every moment.

They looked perfect. Now to bake. The test of time would tell all. The smells of cinnamon, nutmeg and apples began wafting through my house, causing my taste buds to tingle with anticipation. By the end of the 50 minutes, out they came, golden brown and beautiful. We let them cool and then the time arrived to test this creation. Delicious! A wonderful success! I would have pat myself on the back, but for being preoccupied with consuming my pie.





Needless to say, after all of this, I wondered if others would like to taste my wares. After hearing a friend say her family loves pie and baking, she's just too busy to make it, I wondered if there is a desire in this city for home-baked goods. Currently I am without a job, enjoying my days filled with painting and pottery, however, could part of my days be filled with....baking? Perhaps help pay a bill or two in this limbo phase?

With that said, I now put forward a proposal to those in the Medicine Hat area. Though my list be small and limited at this time (though there is hope and potential for it to always be growing), I would consider baking orders for those who love to eat baking, but are just too busy to make it. With Thanksgiving and Christmas just around the corner, why not start filling the freezer for when company begins rolling in? I am currently in the process of putting together a price list, but my wares would consist of the following....

Deluxe Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ginger Snaps
Whipped Shortbread Cookies
Peach/Blueberry Crisp
Apple Pie
Peanut Butter Marshmellow Squares

In the meantime, take time to stop and smell the freshness of the air, enjoy the changing of the seasons, and always stop to hear the whisper and taste the sun.
Aryn

3 comments:

  1. Do you deliver to Calgary? LOL Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOooh you have a blog too! Sweet!
    I love the idea of cooking to pay the bills! People loved baked goods too and now that summer is over, and bathing suit bodies aren't quite as necessary it's time to indulge in pies, cookies and squares.
    You should TOTALLY start up a small business! Dang the way you describe you treats makes my whole body shiver!

    ReplyDelete