Thursday, September 30, 2010

Autumn's Last Stand

I awoke to sun, sprinkling through my bedroom blinds. The dance of light on the walls was almost magical. I knew it would be good day. I love fall.

My morning started out like any other, getting ready for my day, eating and having some alone time. Then, the moment happened when I put my shoes on and opened my front door. There I was greeted with a brilliance of color. Yellow so bright, I almost needed sunglasses. It appeared that overnight the leaves on our trees had decided to conform with the season and finally turn. I was surrounded with yellow. It was absolutely breathtaking. The second thing I noticed, was a soothing warmth. The sun shone with force and the earth had risen to the occasion and warmed up. If it hadn't been for the color of the trees, one may have thought it a nice summer day. The warmth was a breath of fresh air....literally, after so many cool, wet days had besieged us. I revelled in the light and warmth, loving the fact that I had no need for a jacket at the end of September. The crunch of the leaves beneath my feet as I walked, was lovely. It gave way to a fragrance one can only experience in the moment and though I strive to explain it, will never fully succeed. It's the smell that reminds you of fresh baked apple pies, turkey, warm sweaters, and harvest. The sound of the leaves, as they rubbed against each other, fell to the ground, and were stepped upon, brought delight to the heart and fond childhood memories of jumping upon mounds of freshly raked leaves.

As the day wore on, the wind decided to come and play with the warmth. I was delighted, as it was not a biting cold wind, but a warm one that wrapped itself around you like a down blanket. But it was strong indeed. At points it would raise up a mighty arm and almost flatten anyone who stood in it's way, but at least when you fell...you would be warm.

By the time I was finished work, I had to fight to walk to my car because of the wind. This thing which had been friendly in the beginning, was fast becoming a foe. But it made me wonder, this fierce wind, what it would be like to soar upon it, to have it lift you up instead of knock you down. To work together for enjoyment, then fight against each other. I've always wondered what it would be like to fly. To go wherever you please, so sway and twirl, dive and rise. At this, my mind strayed to Mary Poppins, and I wondered how it would be if I opened my umbrella, held on tight, and rose from the ground on a grand adventure. Not to be a nanny, mind you, but to go somewhere, anywhere. This idea seemed more likely a way to fly then to, by chance, sprout wings, for such a thought may be seen as silly or even impossible. Though I'm sure it has happened a time or two in one of those places we only can wish to see. This is where my mind was as I drove home.

Later that evening, the sun graciously gave way to a clouded host, coming in to cool the now hot earth. As evening set in, rain poured down from the heavens. The sound always soothing with a gentle pit pat, pit pat. It's a most enjoyable noise to sit to whilst wrapped up in a fuzzy blanket, reading a good book. But alas, work called my name, so I only enjoyed the sweet melody for a meagre time. By the end of my shift, the rains had ceased, but as I opened the Library door and stepped out, I was greeted with a most lovely aroma. The fresh, sweet smell of the combination of wet grass, wet leaves, and clean air, invaded my nostrils. It's an aroma that can sooth the soul, heal the mind, and relax the spirit. Oh that I could have stayed outside for hours, breathing in deeply this heavenly fragrance, a sample, I believe, of what is to come. But it was late, and sleep called my name.

Thus I fell asleep in the arms of my love, with these thoughts in my head. I knew that today was a blessing and days like these would soon give way to another long winter. But the lasting impression will always give hope that Winter will not endure forever, but will melt away to Spring once more.

So take these days as they come, for only God knows how much longer we shall have them. Enjoy them, love them, use them, and savour their sweetness.


Until next time,
remember to stop, hear the whisper and taste the sun.

Aryn

No comments:

Post a Comment