Sunday, May 8, 2011

looking forward and thinking back

Today is Mothers Day. A grand day when we remember the amazing woman who raised us, loved us, and helped shape us into the person we are today. I love my momma and am sure glad she's mine. Of course one always has their ups and downs, who doesn't? But our friendship outweighs it all. I love spending time with my mom and savour the moments we share.


As I think on today I realize how ready I am to become a mom and to raise my own little latte kiddies (my husband is mocha, so our children will, naturally, be latte). Every time I see a little munchkin, I'm completely overwhelmed with the maternity tug. Especially today in church. We had a team go to Haiti and a guy go to Malawi. Both presented on their trips today, showing pictures and video of the beautiful children in those places. I was moved to tears with a longing, not just to have my own family, but to go to those places, to hold those precious kids and love on them. My heart strings were definitely tugged with full force. Family is a powerful thing and it's always fun being together and having each other.

Looking back just last month, Hayden and I were blessed to go on a trip with my family, spend some quality time reconnecting, laughing, making memories, and of course, sleeping on the beach. For those who don't know, my parents and my youngest brother, Bryan, live just outside of Sylvan Lake. Hayden and I live in Medicine Hat, about 4 hours away and my other brother, CJ, and his wife, Heidi, live way up in Fort Nelson, B.C., so family times have become more rare over the past few years. so, this year we said goodbye to the cold Spring and flew to Hawaii for a blissful 12 days. There we encountered sea life, enjoyed the ocean, ate good food, went snorkelling, toured around, shopped till no end….and just had some good quality fun.

in the limo on our way to the hotel. Let the good times commence! 

the siblings + 1 (Dustin was adopted for the trip :)) 

the boys went deep sea fishing. CJ spent the time on one side of the boat (in the striped tank) and Bryan spent the time on the other side…..chumming the waters. Dustin, Dad and Hayden are finding this funny. 

Hayden, snorkelling at Hanama Bay

me snorkelling 

Mr. Sea Turtle that we swam with 

enjoying the day! 

mom and dad at dinner at Tanaka of Tokyo  

Hayden and I went on a tour with the Samoans. The backdrop here is home to several movies, including Jurassic Park, George of the Jungle, Tears of the Sun, Mighty Joe Young, 50 First Dates…among others.

The last night together 

view of the ocean from our hotel

One of the most amazing discoveries of the trip, however, were these delightful things called "BUBBIES!!!!" Mochi Ice Cream to be more specific. They are absolutely amazingly delicious! Heidi and I discovered them half way through our trip and were addicted instantly! I had them almost everyday thereafter. Good thing I didn't discover them the first day! They are balls of flavoured ice cream wrapped in a sweetened rice confection which is chewy. A lovely combination. For anyone heading to Oahu, check them out! They are made locally!

 You can't go wrong with the amazing flavours they offer. yum yum yum!!!! Chocolate-coconut was my favourite and Lychee was Hayden's fav.

All in all, in a was a fantastic trip that was restful indeed. Much needed and honestly, it was just fun to be with the family for that time. Life becomes so busy and crazy these days, that to have these moments, these memories, is a breath of fresh air. So, take time with your family. Don't take them for granted or wish them away. Love every moment you have with them and savour those moments.

And especially today, give your mom a hug and let her know just how much she means to you.

till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment